OVERVIEW & MISSION of
1903 when the CB&Q
it was a model of modern convenience
linking Red Oak
worlds totally different from life here on the prairie. Rural communities were virtually inaccessible
by any method of transportation until lifelines of railroads joined them to more metropolitan societies.
● Re-dedicated 20 DEC 2003, on the 100th anniversary of the first dedication, The Restored
Burlington Northern Depot now houses a WWII Memorial Museum, dedicated to all those who
served in the Second World War, whether on the front lines ( 1,100 active duty service participants
were from Montgomery County Iowa ) or the home front.
● During the struggle against the Axis, the citizens of Montgomery County Iowa lost a high percentage
Many of those active service participants from the county were assigned to Company F ( Villisca )
and Company M ( Red Oak ). During WWII, both units were part of the 168th Infantry Regiment,
34th “ Red Bull ” Infantry Division.
architecture of the Depot is the
That Style, named after Henry Hobson Richardson, generally follows Romanesque Revival Style,
incorporating 11th century southern French and Spanish Romanesque characteristics,
* Recessed window arches
(more extensive than the earlier
* Polychromatic use of two colors of stone.
* Hip (slopes to sides and ends) roof.
* Arches that sit on the columns.
* Stone stringer courses.
● A few city blocks directly north of the Depot is another structure constructed in the
Richardson Romanesque Style – the 1890 Montgomery County Courthouse.
● The Restored Burlington Northern Depot & WWII Memorial Museum is a project in the
Depot Hill Historic Preservation District and is listed (National Register
Information System # 99000489) on the National Register of Historic Places --
cultural resources worthy of preservation, administered by the
National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
“Listing in the National Register of Historic Places provides formal recognition
of a property’s historical, architectural, or archeological significance
based on national standards used by every state.”
(U.S. National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Program: Fundamentals, 18 AUG 2012).
“ Honoring Veterans & Celebrating Railroad Heritage ! “
305 South 2nd Street, RED OAK IOWA 51566